I have a question: how difficult is it to lift your feet when walking? Why is it that certain people find it acceptable to drag their feet along the ground with every step they take? Were they not taught that that’s probably not a good idea? (In case you weren’t, see reasons below.)
This has always bugged me, but only recently have I found myself growing truly aggravated whenever the sound of dragging feet reaches my ears. The reason I bring it up today, though, is because of an incident that damn near drove me insane this morning:
I was walking to one of my classes from the subway station. The moment I exited the latter, I heard that sound behind me. Out of all other sounds, it stood out the most, and ground on my nerves. I tried to ignore it, but it became harder and harder for each passing minute. I turned around a few times and gave the offending girl a slightly dirty look, conspicuously looking at her feet — an obvious hint that she should PICK THEM THE FUCK UP. But she either didn’t get it, or just wanted to spite me; she kept dragging them — loudly, and with every single step she took — and, as luck would have it, she seemed to be tailing me. I wished that she would disappear into one of the buildings along the way, but no — it turned out that she was heading to the very same building as I.
Several times I had to hold myself back from whirling around, stepping right up to her, and screaming into her face: “Stop being a lazy ass and pick up your fucking feet when you walk!” But, being the cultured person that I am, I did no such thing.
And I regret it still.
Seriously, though, if you’re someone who drags their feet when they walk, you have got to stop. I’ve compiled a short list of reasons as to why that might be a good idea:
- It’s unattractive – makes you seem lazy and sloppy.
- The sound is annoying as fuck. You will thoroughly aggravate the vast majority of those people in your vicinity who have to endure your foot-dragging.
- It’s bad for your shoes. Can you imagine how much quicker your soles will wear out just because you don’t have the decency to lift your feet?
- You burn fewer calories than if you were to walk properly.
- More than anything, though — IT’S ANNOYING AS FUCK!